3 Short but Sweet Games





Under What?
                         Under What is an extremely short point & click game available for free on STEAM. Play-through takes about 5 minutes, but those 5 minutes are interesting for sure. This game is beautiful to the eye, with a hint of a handrawn style and bright colors. There's not much to this game, other than a few questions you answer, all of which lead to the same end. It's an interesting plot for a game, and well developed in it's story. For the beginning and the end, the story is mostly told through pictures, rather than words. I do really enjoy this game, but I wish it gave me more. I wish it was longer and I wish there was more to do. It's a great time killer game, if you just want something short and simple to hold you over.

What Never Was
                           This game is absolutely adorable! When I downloaded it, I thought it was going to be a bit of a longer game. However, even though it is short, it brings out so many emotions. You play as a girl, seeming to be in her teens, who has recently lost her grandfather. You can really see the connection between the girl and her grandfather, they were so close. The game starts with the player in the attic, getting ready to gather ad sort through her grandfather's things. You come across a super cute stuffed pig as well (just had to mention him, he's SO cute!). While sorting through things, you turn on your grandfather's old gramophone, and listen to some great swing music (our protagonist is indifferent). Throughout the game, you slowly come across things that tell you more about your grandfather, and you have to solve puzzles to progress the story. It took me 20-30 minutes to finish the game, but it all depends on how quickly you figure out the puzzles and how much you explore. The puzzles aren't super difficult, but you do gotta use your noggin. From the screenshots, I thought this was going to be a horror game, when in fact it is more of an adventure driven game, nothing scary. I highly recommend this game, if you like solving mysteries.

Something for Someone Else
                                              Oh boy, where do I begin. This game was nothing like I thought it was going to be. Again, I was expecting a horror game, since I found it while looking for horror themed games. This, in fact, is not a horror game. It's actually really sad ad you can feel the emotions the dev was portraying. Not gonna lie, I got a little teary eyed. This game was originally made for one person. Yes, ONE PERSON. The dev originally made this game for his then boyfriend. This is the first thing that surprised me. When I started up the game, I wasn't expecting it to be about this. In the introduction, the dev states that he made this game for his boyfriend to express some feelings he was having. The entire game is handrawn, and may not be much to look at, but again, he only made it with the intent of one person seeing it. The game is a platformer, that gets harder and harder as you progress. Through the progression, you were supposed to become more and more frustrated, so you felt how the dev was feeling. Thankfully, he put a cheat code in, which helped a lot (and I ended up using because I got wayyyy to frustrated). I honestly can't think of the words to say to express how emotional this game was. This dev put his heart and soul into a game, and released it to the public. I don't want to give any spoilers, because he does explain the whole story to the player. It's so impressive that he decided to be so vulnerable, and if I was in his shoes, I wouldn't have had the guts to do so. This game literally broke my heart, and I can't recommend it enough. The game-play lasted me between 30-45 minutes. Once you complete the game, you unlock the extras, which is basically the dev's sketchbook. During the game he says he can't draw, but play for yourself, and you'll see why I disagree.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hope Lake: What Happened at this Boarding School?

A Game Like No Other...

Times Gamers Passed Unexpectedly